Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup
Very healthy meal, loaded with beta-carotene, vitamins A, B6, K, C and dietary fiber.
1 lb Fresh Carrots (peeled, cut into roughly 1" pieces) (Organic, preferably)
2 Sweet Potatoes/Yams (Organic, preferably)
2 Tbsp. Butter (again, Organic, you get it, I know...)
1/4 Cup Minced Onion (or Chopped Fresh Onion)
2 Tbsp. Minced Garlic
1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
4 Cups Water
1 Bouillon Cube (Vegetable or Chicken) (or 2 tsp. Granulated Bouillon)
Sea Salt, to taste
Black Pepper, to taste
1. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 1" cubes (roughly, precision not needed).
2. Cook butter, onion, garlic, carrots, and potatoes in a large stockpot over medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Pour in the wine and cook 2-3 minutes, or until it is reduced about 50%.
3. Add water and bouillon and bring to a boil (turn heat to medium-high).
4. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until carrots and potatoes are tender.
5. Remove from heat and puree. You can do this with a regular blender, immersion blender, Baby Bullet in my case (it was a great gift!), or whatever (even a masher). I actually use my immersion blender A LOT too. You will have to blend in batches, most likely.
Now skip to the bottom....
Alternative Directions (Puree first):
(if for some reason you want pureed carrots or sweet potatoes alone for another dish/baby food)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Take peeled, cut up carrots and put in saucepan with 2 cups water. Cook over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, or until carrots are tender and break easily with a fork.
3. Meanwhile, poke sweet potatoes with a fork multiple times. Then wrap sweet potatoes in foil and bake in preheated oven for 45-55 minutes (depends on size of potatoes), or until potatoes are tender.
4. Puree the carrots however you want. You can do this with a regular blender, immersion blender, Baby Bullet in my case (it was a great gift!), or whatever (even a masher). I actually use my immersion blender A LOT too.
5. Using a fork, scrape off the skins of the semi-cooled sweet potatoes. Puree them with your preferred device and remaining 2 cups water.
6. Cook butter, onion, and garlic in a large stockpot over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Pour in the wine and cook 2-3 minutes, or until it is reduced about 50%.
7. Add in carrot and potato purees and bouillon. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring well.
8. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Feel free to vary it by stirring in different herbs (thyme or basil or ginger) and/or adding some light cream to it. Top with croutons. Season with the sea salt and black pepper, to taste.
Serve immediately and enjoy!