Thursday, August 5, 2010
Turkey Taco Salad (and Turkey Tacos)
I love a great summer salad. This salad is one of my favorites, because I can make it into a salad for me and my husband can have hard shell tacos. Plus, it's got a lot of veggies, lean turkey meat (protein), and tastes really good.
1 lb lean (99% fat-free) ground turkey meat
1 Package Whole-Grain Hard Shell Tacos
1 cup water
1 Head Iceburg or Romaine Lettuce
1 cup Mexican-style Organic Cheese (Nature's Promise is what I used)
2 cans Black Olives
2 Plum Tomatoes (organic if you can)
Salsa (again, I used organic)
Fat-free Organic Sour Cream (my preference)
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Minced Onion
1/4 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
1 tsp. Ground Cumin
1/2 tsp. Paprika
1 tsp. Black Pepper
1 tsp. Cornstarch
1. Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
2. Brown turkey in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drain and return meat to pan.
3. Over medium-low heat, simmer the meat, the taco seasoning mix, and the 1 cup water. Stir every few minutes, for about 15-20 minutes, or until the water has drained. Meanwhile:
4. Cut up your lettuce. **If making a salad, put enough lettuce on a plate for a salad. If making tacos, place lettuce in a bowl.
5. Dice your tomatoes. **If making a salad, sprinkle a handful of diced tomatoes on your salad. If making tacos, place toms in a bowl.
6. Put olives on the salad (or in a bowl for tacos).
7. Put 1/4 cup shredded cheese on the salad (or in a bowl for tacos).
8. In last few minutes of the meat simmering, place 6 hardshell tacos on a baking sheet. Bake for 3-4 minutes. Remove from oven.
9. Crunch up two hardshell tacos for each salad and sprinkle on top of salad.
10. Spoon some of seasoned meat mixture over salad (or in bottom of taco).
11. Top salad with a spoonful of sour cream and serve with Taco Sauce and Salsa. If making tacos, put lettuce on top of the meat, then tomatoes, olives, cheese, and sour cream. Finish with Taco Sauce and/or Salsa.