10-15 Fresh Mushrooms (I used White Button Mushrooms; you could use 2 Portabellas instead)
3 Tbsp. Butter
1 Cup Diced or Shredded Crab Meat (or Imitation Crab Meat)
3 tsp. Lemon Juice
1 Egg, Beaten (or Egg White for the healthier route)
2 tsp. Oregano
2 tsp. Basil
1/2 Cup Italian Bread Crumbs
3/4 Cup Monterrey-Jack Cheese
1/4 Cup Dry White Wine
1. Preheat Oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick butter-flavored cooking spray.
2. Remove stems from mushrooms (you should just be able to pull them out easily). Dice stems into small pieces.3. In a skillet, over medium-high heat, cook butter and mushroom stem pieces for about 3-5 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and add in the rest of the ingredients, minus the wine (i.e. crab meat, lemon juice, egg, oregano, basil, bread crumbs, and cheese). Stir well to combine.
5. Pour wine at the bottom of the baking dish. Place mushroom caps, cavity-side up, in the baking dish. Spoon the crab/breadcrumb/cheese mixture into each mushroom cap (see note below for the leftover mixture).
6. Place mushrooms in oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve warm.
Leftover Crab Mixture
I always have a good amount of leftover mixture and found it to be a great topping to place on top of fish or chicken. See my Crab-Topped Tilapia Recipe for a great main dish to accompany the crab-stuffed mushrooms and make a good use of the rest of the prepared mushroom filling.